Welcome to Game On! Online Classroom
If you are already signed up and logged in, your class is accessible via the main menu above.
Once you purchase the course you will be given access to the classroom. This should happen within one day. You will see it like this:
If for some reason you can’t see it, make sure you’re logged in. If you’re still having problems, send a note through the contact form and we will sort it out.
Within the classroom, each lesson will be released as a POST on a schedule specific to the course. For those in working spots, you will post your homework or ask questions in the COMMENT fields on the post. My feedback will be in the REPLY to that comment. As part of the learning experience, you will be able to see other student homework as well. Auditors can see all content but cannot ask questions.
Nick’s Boot Camp 101 – a Jumping and Handling Program for Technical Sequences in Dog Agility
This course has 6 weeks of lessons with 3-4 exercises in each lesson designed to give you the foundation blueprint for achieving efficient and safe turns, even on technical courses. You will build your dog’s understanding of how to physically manage turns on technical sequences including wraps, threadles, backsides and serpentines; and at the same time you will build the physical and verbal cues that you will use as a handler to prepare your dog for the turns. The supporting video in each lesson will often be taken directly from the work I have done with my young border collie Nick. Nick – whose predominant thought always was “how fast can I go” struggled with these skills before I took him through this “Boot Camp” program. Read more about Nick’s story here.
The course is progressive. Each lesson will consist of a description of the skills we want the dog to learn, an exercise designed to teach the dog the skill and a supporting video. Each lesson builds on the previous lesson. The process can’t be rushed! To help avoid binge learning and give our dogs the time to build their physical skills and understanding of your cues, the lessons will be released weekly but the course length allows ample time to master each of the lessons. You won’t have to progress if you aren’t ready.
Dogs should be at least 1 year old and doing some sequencing before undertaking this full program, although some elements can be done safely with younger dogs. Contact me to discuss.
Working Spot: $180. Working students are encouraged to submit Youtube video for my feedback and ask as many questions as they want. (Link to store page)
Auditors: $75. Auditors can view all the lessons and in this Winter Session, auditors can comment and ask questions. (Link to store page)
Schedule: The first lesson will be released January 8th and weekly thereafter – until Feb 12th. For those that need the time to complete all the lessons, I’ll be reviewing video and answering questions for an additional 6 weeks beyond the release of the last lesson. Class feedback ends March 26th. Access to the material online will be available for an additional 4 months – until August 1st.
Equipment and space requirements:
- 2 wing jumps and an optional tunnel.
- An object to wrap like a large cone or a bucket.
- Working spots also require video camera, editing tool and a YouTube account.
- Not required but highly recommended: Susan Salo’s Jumping Grid Workbook – which can be purchased at Clean Run.
- 5-8 additional wingless jumps (or ladder jumps – see pictures here) for the Susan Salo grids.
- Space needed: a 50 ft x 40 ft space would be adequate. Many of the exercises can be done in a much smaller space.
- Lesson 1 – Understanding/recognizing extension vs collection
- Lesson 2 – The physicality of collection and handler physical/verbal cues
- Lesson 3 – One jump work – wraps and backside intro
- Lesson 4 – 1 and 2 jump work – figure 8 drill, serpentine intro
- Lesson 5 – 1 and 2 jump work – adding speed into the collection
- Lesson 6 – 2 jump work with more speed and mixing it up
Questions? Contact Anne Stocum via Facebook Messenger or through the contact form on this site.
Ready to sign up?